As I mentioned yesterday, my Minolta Maxxum AF 70-210mm f/4 arrived while I was away, and I finally got a moment this afternoon to make a few test shots. As with my previous tests, the subjects are mediocre and the lighting bad. Perfect for testing lenses…
We have a really confused Azalea bush in our front yard — it’s still making flowers! Anyway, this is literally the first shot with the new lens. Not too bad, I suppose. I did have to do some work, however, to get here.
For the techies: ISO 200, 1/160, F4, 210mm. Distance from subject is about 10 feet.
There’s a slight back-focus exhibited on this shot, but that could be simply that I “missed” a little bit when focusing. It was also a little bit breezy when I took this picture. There was also a little bit of purple fringing, which I was able to remove in Lightroom. I also performed “the usual” tweaks on the raw conversion. The final result is very likable.
For the techies: ISO200, 1/250, F4, 210mm. Distance from subject is about 75 feet.
The focus point is supposed to be right on the corner of the roof, and it looks pretty darned close. I did pretty much the same treatment, though I didn’t notice so much fringing on this one. Crappy picture, but a good test subject, and I’d say the result is quite acceptable.
Techies: ISO 200, 1/320, F4, 210mm. Distance to subject is about 10 feet.
This one suffered from some green fringing, but no purple. In this case, focus was spot on. What’s sharp is exactly what I focused on. Again, the usual raw conversion, but nothing else.
So far, I’d say that the results with this lens are very nearly as good as what I was getting with my Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens after I spent $265 to get it overhauled (on top of the $1900 the lens cost new). And for this, I paid $200. Hmmm… I think I’ve got a winner!